The Federal Regulatory Process – In Plain Language
- Federal Regulatory Process – The Nuts and Bolts
- Federal Regulatory Process – Optimization Through Regulatory Science and Engineering Principles
- Federal Regulatory Process – Informal Agency Action Explained
- Federal Regulatory Process – Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs Explained
- Federal Regulatory Process – The Role of Office of Management and Budget Explained
- Federal Regulatory Process – The Role of the Judiciary Branch Explained
- Federal Regulatory Process – How Regulations Change During Election Cycles
- Federal Regulatory Process – Timeline
- Federal Regulatory Process - A Brief History
- Federal Regulatory Process - A Look into the EPA
- Federal Regulatory Process - A Look into the FDA
- Federal Regulatory Process - Science in Regulation
- Federal Regulatory Process – The Administrative Procedure Act Explained
- Federal Regulatory Process – The Paperwork Reduction Act Explained
- Federal Regulatory Process – The Congressional Review Act Explained
- Federal Regulatory Process – The Federal Register Act Explained
- Federal Regulatory Process – The Regulatory Flexibility Act Explained
- Federal Regulatory Process – The Unfunded Mandate Reform Act Explained
- Federal Regulatory Process – The Executive Orders Explained
Scholarly Resources That Explain the Regulatory Process
Congressional Research Service (CRS) Reports about the Regulatory Process
- CRS Report: Federal Rulemaking Process
- CRS Report: The Role of the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs
- CRS Report: Researching Current Federal Legislation and Regulation
- CRS Report: Rulemaking and Judicial Review
- CRS Report: Tracking Current Legislation and Regulations
- CRS Report: Overview of the Federal Procurement Process and Resources
- CRS Report: The Federal Acquisition Regulation
Materials Prepared By Regulations.gov and Federal Register
- Regulatory Timeline
- Regulations: The Basics
- A Guide to the Rulemaking Process
- Best Practices for Federal Agencies
- Public Comments Make A Difference
- Tips for Submitting Effective Comments
Selected Scholarly Literature and Government Reports About the Regulatory Process
- Measuring Regulatory Performance: Evaluating The Impact of Regulation and Regulatory Policy
- A report by Cary Coglianese published on the responsibility of the Secretary-General of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) that discusses a systematic approach for evaluating the performance of regulations and regulatory policies (2012).
- Regulation without Rulemaking: The Force and Authority of Informal Agency Action
- A report by the Rocky Mountain Legal Foundation about Informal Agency Action - Charles A. Beer and Scot W. Anderson
- OMB's Role in Reviews of Agencies' Draft Rules and the Transparency of Those Reviews
- A report about the OMB's role in reviewing draft rules produced by the GAO (2003).
- 2014 Draft Report to Congress on the Benefits and Costs of Federal Regulations and Unfunded Mandates on State, Local, and Tribal Entities
- A report produced by the OMB and OIRA about benefits and costs of Federal regulations (2014).
- Agency Practices and Judicial Review of Administrative Records in Informal Rulemaking
- A report produced by Leland E. Beck, Esq. for the Administrative Conference of the United States about agency practices and judicial review of administrative records in informal rulemaking (2013).
- Presidential Oversight and Regulatory Delay: How Politics and Organizational Capacity Influence OIRA Rule Review
- An article produced by Alex Bolton (Princeton), Rachel Potter (University of Michigan) and Sharece Thrower (University of Pittsburgh) examining the role of politics and organizational capacity in OIRA rule review (2014).
- Quality Control: Federal Regulation Policy
- A report by Rebecca Strauss, associate director for Renewing America publications at the Council on Foreign Relations, about regulatory reform and regulatory management (2015).
- The Rhetoric and Reality of Regulatory Reform
- An article by Cary Coglianese (University of Pennsylvania Law School) about what is needed for regulatory reform in the US (2010).
- Economic Analysis and Independent Regulatory Agencies
- A report by Curtis W. Copeland that was prepared for the Administrative Conference of the United States about regulatory economic analysis and independent regulatory agencies (2013).
- Agency Self-Insulation Under Presidential Review
- A Harvard Law Review article by Jennifer Nou about (2013)
- The Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs: Myths and Realities
- A commentary piece from Cass R. Sunstein of Harvard Law School about the OIRA (2013).
- Empirically Informed Regulation
- An essay by Cass R. Sunstein published in the University of Chicago Law Review looking at how empirically driven regulation could be achieved within the United States regulatory system (2011).
- Regulatory Law – History and Process
- A publication that is intended to provide an overview of the historical development and adoptive process for regulatory law produced by Raymond Legislative Research (2007).
- The Regulatory Process
- A publication by Mark S. Massel in Law and Contemporary Problems published in 1961, which gives a historical perspective on the issues faced with the regulatory process 50 years ago (1961).
Important Legislation for the Federal Rulemaking Process
- Administrative Procedure Act
- Congressional Review Act
- Federal Register Act
- Paperwork Reduction Act
- Regulatory Flexibility Act
- Unfunded Mandates Reform Act
Important Executive Orders for the Federal Rulemaking Process
- Executive Order 12866
- Executive Order 13132
- Executive Order 13175
- Executive Order 13497
- Executive Order 13563
Useful Regulatory Websites